Eligible households must have income of $54,000 or below
Community Action Agency provides free Federal, state and city income tax preparation services through the IRS sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. CAA provides trained IRS certified volunteer tax preparers to complete and e-file returns.
Tax preparers work with each client to ensure the client receives all of the money they are entitled to receive. This money could be from the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Homestead Property Tax Credit, Home Heating Credit, among others. To learn more about the EITC visit the IRS EITC homepage.
Returns are electronically filed (e-filed) to speed up the receipt of the refund. Returns for prior years may be able to be completed for you.
What To Bring To My Appointment:
- Social Security Care ( or SS statement) for self, spouse, and dependents
- State-issued Photo Identification (Drivers License or State ID)
- All income forms: W-2's, 1099s, Social Security, DHS, Unemployment statement, etc.
- Copy of last year's tax return, if available
- Receipts for Education expenses
- Total Rent for 2016 and all landlords' names and addresses
- Total Heat expense for 2016 (deliverable fuels) or copy of recent gas/fuel bill.
- Property Tax Statement showing Summer and Winter taxes (if client owns home)
- Any documentation for itemized deductions (child care expenses, mortage interest, etc.)
- Bank routing number for direct deposit (debit cards will not work)
2015 Program Facts:
For tax year 2015, CAA had 108 volunteers who assisted 7,525 households and generated millions of dollars in returns and credits to those households in Jackson, Lenawee & Hillsdale counties.
- Jackson: 3,767 households
- Lenawee: 2,522 households
- Hillsdale: 1,236 households
Lenawee County: 517-263-7861 or 800-438-1845
Hillsdale County: 517-437-3346 or 800-750-9300
To VOLUNTEER with VITA:
1. Watch the VITA Volunteer VIDEO to learn more about the program. (see attachments)
2. Or fill out the Volunteer Form and CAA will contact you.
3. Or contact Leigh Heise with any additional questions. (517)784-4800, EXT#:271 or 800-491-0004 firstname.lastname@example.org